On Surfing Injuries

It's come to my attention that my physical body is perhaps not as happy to go surfing as it once was. While the elation of riding virtually any size or sort of wave remains undiminished since I first stumbled to my feet on a dented and waterlogged old board at Sennen more than twenty years ago, the increasing occurrence, and current list, of minor bodily injuries has managed to break through my imagined youthfulness and inform me of it's ailments.  Since this is usually via the conduit of pain, it has been difficult to ignore.

Some of these ailments could be said to be partially self-inflicted - the groin injury occasioned by an upturned fin during a wipe-out, a bloody nose inflicted by someone bailing their board after dropping in on me. Tight hamstrings are a fact of life for surfers, but add the current twinge of Sciatica, a cricked neck that six months of exercises has failed to heal and a twisted knee caused by the above drop in, and you'll start to get the same message that my body seems to be giving me.

Whilst I'm not yet in the same self-destructive league as hard-hitting journo Injury Nation  there is always the chance that every session will mean a further addition to the list of 'Things that might Stop you Surfing'.

And I haven't even mentioned age yet.  So while some types I know are training  towards attempting a triathlon (read mid-life crisis) some of us are simply coping with the effects of having gone harder a bit earlier in life.  That's my excuse anyway.

Now, before I am forced kicking and screaming to get my pipe and slippers for a cup of tea and a nice sit down, please view this proof that I am still (currently) up and riding.

Pic courtesy of Mel Sedgewick of Splashography

Return to Ocean-Image.com









Comments

foreveryoung said…
Pipe and slippers on order for next Christmas!!! Call in any time for the cup of tea.

Popular posts from this blog

Tom Bawcock's Eve

The Big Brush-Off