Sand, Salt and Cameras

The thing with being a photographer of the ocean is that obviously you have to be outdoors, and consequently you are constantly exposing all your (very expensive) gear to the elements. And not only 'the elements', but the precise elements that are the very worst for sensitive camera gear. Namely sand, and salt water spray - this latter frequently wind-driven into every finely machined crevice of your sensitive (and very expensive) lenses.



Salt and sand have trashed many bits of gear over the years, including one drenching in Australia a few years back. I was shooting some tow-at surfing from a pier when a large wave hit, covering me and several fishermen in a deluge of saltwater. Not one piece of clothing was dry enough to wipe the camera and the (very expensive) lens down. Checking the kit over, I could even see water sloshing around inside the lens barrel.

Nowadays, I'm pretty good at avoidance tactics, with camera covers, water housings and umbrellas added to the armoury. Iwas caught out shooting a fast dropping sun the other week though. I was using two cameras, one with wide angle, one with a zoom. Deftly stepping away from the whitewater surging up the beach, I lay prone on the beach to get the shot above, completely forgetting that while doing so, the zoom hanging at my side would sink slowly and softly into the wet, salt water laden sand. Which it surely did.

Did I mention this is an expensive game?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tom Bawcock's Eve

The Big Brush-Off